12 STEPS OF PERFORMANCE ARTISTS ANONYMOUS circa 2010: Linda Mary Montano
(All steps to be read in a whisper or slurred voice.)
1. We admitted that we are powerless over Performance Art and that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe that an art greater than ours could restore us to sanity.
3. We made a decision to turn our will and loves over to the care of the Higher Artist as we understood that artist.
4. We made a searching and fearless inventory of our past performances.
5. We admitted to the Higher Artist, ourselves and another person the exact nature of our past performances.
6. We were ready to have the Higher Artist remove all of the defects of our art/life.
7. We humbly asked the Higher Artist to remove our shortcomings.
8. We made a list of audiences we had offended and critics we had outraged and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. We made amends and apologies except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we had foolish performance ideas/concepts, we promptly admitted it and didn't do that performance.
11. We sought through silence to improve our contact with the Higher Artist as we understood this Artist and asked to know this Artist's will. We also asked for the opportunity to do their Concept, not ours.
12. We tried to tell other performance artists about these principles and practiced them in every aspect of our art/life.