HOW CARETAKING MY 89 YEAR OLD FATHER CONTINUES TO TEACH ME THE ART OF ATTENTION
1.How can you NOT pay attention when your dad might fall if two people aren't holding him, one on each side?
2. How can you NOT pay attention when everything he eats is bought, cooked and fed to him by you and his health depends on your choice of food, timing of meals and patience while feeding him?
3. How can you NOT pay attention when every medication(12 different ones a day) is ordered by you, picked up by you, and dispensed to him by you ?
4. How can you NOT pay attention when all 15 caregivers have 45,874676 different needs, personal issues, stories, salary idiosyncracies and home emergencies that sometimes make it impossible for them to make it to work on time or even show up for their shift?
5. How can you NOT pay attention when a ringing phone, slamming door or loud conversation disturb dad's fitfull attempts to relax, sleep or calm down ?
6. How can you NOT pay attention when dad begs to go home and is at home?
7. How can you NOT pay attention when your dad is teaching you how to die?
Linda M Montano, Saugerties, N.Y. 2002 October
FOOTNOTE:checkWWW.NFCACARES.ORG (National Family Caregivers Association) for caregiving support.